Social Work in Singapore

Minimum Entry Requirement into Social Work Employment

A Bachelor’s Degree with a major in Social Work or a Graduate Diploma in Social Work is minimum pre-requisite to employment as a Social Worker.

What do Social Workers Do?

Social Work encompasses working with families, individuals, organisations and the community on areas such as:

  • Poverty
  • Relationship Problems
  • Domestic Violence & Abuse
  • Substance Addiction & Abuse
  • Family Life Education & Parenting
  • Interpersonal Communication & Social Skills Training
  • Mediation & Negotiation
  • Child Welfare
  • People with Special Needs

  • Youth Work
  • Clinical / Mental Health
  • Disability Services
  • Care of Older Persons
  • Social Work Administration & Policy
  • Social Work Education & Research
  • Consultancy Services
  • Community Work


Social Workers therefore must be versatile, knowledgeable and skillful in interpersonal communication skills when working with others and competent in networking skills so as to be able to enhance the lives and well-being of the people and the community they live in.

They are found in direct practice, in administrative, management and policy planning positions in many organisations as well as in government Ministries.

What are the Earning Potentials of a Social Worker?

Post-graduate educational opportunities such as Masters, PhD, Post-graduate Diplomas and Specialist training are available locally and overseas.

They can choose to specialise in different areas of work such as:

  • Child Protection Services
  • Counselling & Therapy
  • Family Social Work
  • School Social Work
  • Youth Work
  • Gerontological Social Work
  • Medical Social Work

  • Working with People with Disabilities
  • Community Work
  • Rehabilitation of Offenders
  • Management of Social Services
  • Policy & Planning Services
  • Social Research & Programme Evaluation Service


The NCSS FY2020 Salary Guidelines for the Social Service Sector provides information on the different job roles of a Social Worker from a Social Worker (Entry) to a Senior Master Social Worker. Refer to NCSS website for more information: